Current:Home > StocksTrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Houston police chief apologizes for department not investigating 264K incident reports -Capitatum
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center-Houston police chief apologizes for department not investigating 264K incident reports
Benjamin Ashford View
Date:2025-04-06 12:37:44
Houston’s police chief apologized to victims and TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Centertheir families Thursday after an internal review revealed that about 264,000 criminal incident reports were suspended in the past eight years due to a lack of personnel.
In February, Houston Police Chief Troy Finner announced that hundreds of thousands of incident reports were dropped because a "lack of personnel" code was assigned to them. The number of reports — which included violent crimes, sexual assault, and property crimes — represents about 10% of the 2.8 million incident reports filed in the past eight years.
"I apologize to victims, their families, our citizens, for the use of the code for sexual assault incidents and other violent crimes against persons," Finner said at a Thursday news conference. "This is not the trauma-informed, victim-centric services they deserve. Again, this code should have never been used and never will be used again."
According to Finner, the internal code had been used department-wide since it was established in 2016, years before Finner became police chief in April 2021. Finner vowed to rebuild the public's trust in the department and outlined new procedures, such as assigning additional investigators to review reports and conducting follow-up interviews with victims.
The chief's news conference came just a day after newly-elected Mayor John Whitmire ordered an independent review of the city police department's handling of the cases.
"I am deeply concerned about how and why this happened," Whitmire said in a statement Wednesday. "The public wants answers and accountability. This process of appointing an independent panel will validate the investigation's integrity."
'It's disrespectful':Uvalde families denounce new report clearing police officers of blame
Houston Police chief was aware of code in 2021
Finner said he first learned about the internal code, which was part of the department’s record management system, in November 2021. At that time, Finner said he told officers that the code was "unacceptable and (to) never use it again."
But then Finner discovered last month that the code was still being used to suspend a significant number of adult sexual assault cases. An internal investigation was launched and uncovered that the code was being used in other divisions of the department.
Two high-ranking members of the department have already been demoted over their roles in the matter, according to Finner. The investigation is also reviewing why the order to stop using the code was not followed and how the code’s use first came about, Finner said.
Police department prioritizing sexual assault cases
Since 2016, Finner said more than 4,000 adult sex crime incident reports were filed and dismissed because of the code. "Those reports are our top priority," he added.
An additional 32 investigators and supervisors have been assigned to review those reports, contact victims, and conduct follow-up interviews, according to Finner. Of the more than 4,000 reports, Finner said over 3,000 have been reviewed with an attempt to contact the victim by phone, text or email.
"Our investigators have scheduled 133 interviews thus far with victims," Finner said.
Police have also been working to contact people who filed family violence incident reports and about 100 officers have been sent out since last week to attempt to locate the victims. Nearly 700 visits were made as of Thursday morning, according to Finner.
Other reports that were suspended were 109,000 reports filed with the major assault division and 91,000 in property and financial crimes, Finner said. More than 6,500 reports filed with the homicide division were also dropped, but most of those were related to claims of assaults and threats before 2018, according to Finner.
Stay in the know:Sign up for the Daily Briefing morning newsletter.
Police departments face staffing shortages across U.S.
According to a 2023 U.S. Department of Justice report, police departments across the country are struggling with a "historic crisis in recruiting and retaining" officers as a result of a tight labor market during the pandemic and community frustrations.
Recent reports from the Police Executive Research Forum (PERF), a Washington-based think tank, show that agencies are losing officers faster than they can hire new ones.
"Many agencies attribute the bulk of their recruitment and retention challenges to a combination of souring public perceptions of the policing profession, generational shifts in the values and expectations of younger workers, and changes in police roles and responsibilities," PERF said in its August 2023 report.
Between 2020 and 2022, 65% of police agencies reported an increase in retirements and 66% reported an increase in resignations, according to the report. And officer staffing levels have dropped, falling by nearly 5% between 2020 and 2023.
Applications for open positions also remain vacant, with 69% of agencies seeing a drop in the number of applications for full-time officer positions between 2020 and 2022, the report states.
The Houston Police Department is one of many agencies facing staffing issues. According to Finner, the department, which has about 5,200 officers, needs 2,000 more to be sufficiently staffed. But he added that was not an excuse for the dismissal of the hundreds of thousands of reports.
Contributing: Bart Jansen, USA TODAY; The Associated Press
veryGood! (81)
Related
- Costco membership growth 'robust,' even amid fee increase: What to know about earnings release
- Senator wants Washington Commanders to pay tribute to an old logo that offends many Indigenous
- 62-year-old woman arrested in death of Maylashia Hogg, a South Carolina teen mother-to-be
- Suki Waterhouse Makes Rare Comment About Bradley Cooper Break Up
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Pepsi Pineapple is back! Tropical soda available this summer only at Little Caesars
- Epic penalties drama for Ronaldo ends with Portugal beating Slovenia in a Euro 2024 shootout
- Tennessee enacts law requiring GPS tracking of violent domestic abusers, the first of its kind in U.S.
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Already not seeking another term, North Carolina Sen. Perry resigns from chamber
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- The US will pay Moderna $176 million to develop an mRNA pandemic flu vaccine
- USPS raising stamp prices: Last chance to lock in Forever stamp rate ahead of increase
- Utah State is firing football coach Blake Anderson, 2 other staffers after Title IX review
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Jennie Garth says she's 'friends now' with ex Peter Facinelli: 'He even unblocked me'
- USS Carney returns from a Middle East deployment unlike any other
- USS Carney returns from a Middle East deployment unlike any other
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Rick Ross says he 'can't wait to go back' to Vancouver despite alleged attack at festival
The Kid Laroi goes Instagram official with Tate McRae in honor of singer's birthday
India wins cricket Twenty20 World Cup in exciting final against South Africa
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Men arrested for alleged illegal hunting on road near Oprah's Hawaii home
Dutch volleyball player Steven van de Velde on Paris Olympics team 8 years after child rape conviction
Usher acceptance speech muted in 'malfunction' at BET Awards, network apologizes: Watch video